Deadline: April 30, 2014
Lodz University’s Interdisciplinary Center for Research on Multicultural and Multinational City and Region of Lodz and the State Archives in Lodz in cooperation with the Justus-Liebig-University Gießen, Germany, are organizing an international conference The Great War: The Hundredth Anniversary of the Outbreak.
The conference has an interdisciplinary character since it is our aim to present a broad range of research from a variety of fields such as history, archive studies, political science, international affairs, geography, economics, ethnology, philological and sociological studies in order to portray the origins of World War I, the course of events and its aftermath.
It is important to present the abovementioned issues on the international, national and regional levels.
There are six major themes of the conference:
1. The political, social and economic dimensions: The World – Europe – Poland – Lodz.
2. The military dimension.
3. National themes. European, Polish and regional perspectives.
4. Everyday life in impossible times. Cultural dimension of the Great War.
5. World War I – The perspective in the existing sources.
6. Finding traces of the Great War in Europe, Poland and in the Lodz Region.
7. World War I in the media, literature (fiction and non-fiction), in the collective and cultural memory of European societies.
The conference will be held from November 20 to 22, 2014 in Lodz, Poland.
The conference fee is 400PLN (maybe less) (concessions for PhD students 150 PLN)
Conference languages will be Polish, English, German, and Russian.
The articles will be published in the conference journal.
The participants are kindly requested to send abstracts till April 30, 2014 to the following address:
Dr Agnieszka Godzisz
Katedra Literatury i Kultury Niemiec, Austrii i Szwajcarii
Ul. Sienkiewicza 21
For the organizers:
Prof. Dr. Przemysław Waingertner
Prof. Dr. Elżbieta Dzikowska
Dr. habil. Frank M. Schuster
Dr. Agnieszka Godzisz
Dr. Adam Sitarek